Friends of the Blue Bell
The Friends of the Blue Bell was chartered on February 11, 1985 to l "lease, utilize,
restore, preserve and maintain the Historic Blue Bell Tavern and surrounding area for
the cultural and educational enrichment of the Delaware Valley" The Blue Bell Inn on
Cobbs Creek (where Main Street, Darby becomes Woodland Avenue and where
Island Road becomes Cobbs Creek Parkway) was built circa 1766 (or earlier) on the
main stagecoach road between Philadelphia and the southern colonies and was a
witness site on the
Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route. It is also the site of
Pennsylvania's first water-powered mill (
Printz's or Old Swedes Mill, circa 1645) , on
the Great Minquas Path,  and the scene of a number of  battles, encampments, and
marches during the
Revolutionary War.

The mission of the Friends has expanded over the years to include work for the historic
marker for Old Swedes Mill and fiscal sponsorship of the
Friends of Old Borough Hall

For information please contact
Friends of the Blue Bell
c/o 1006 Main Street
Darby, PA 19023
(610) 583-0788  
Painting to left by David Brewster
Painting above by Jack Leeds